OFF TO A GOOD START

PATRICK MCAULEY ‘20 | STAFF WRITER • This past weekend, the Wabash swimming and diving team competed against Albion College in their season opener. After finishing 13th in the region last year, Albion came in firing on all cylinders. However, the Little Giants prevailed with strong finishes in a variety of events.

Performance relies on preparation.

During the past four weeks, the Wabash squad has been training with the end in sight. The team’s eventual goal is to claim top marks in their November and February meets. Right now, however, their short-term goal includes practicing with a certain type of mindset. “From an attitude standpoint, the message was not to think so
much about what we’re doing in practice,” Head Coach Brent Noble said. “This was just forget it all and get up to compete against the guy
next you.” When it comes to early season competition, a relaxed mindset is necessary for any athlete trying to regain their strengths. Noble understands the guys have a lot of training ahead, which will eventually lead to improvement. For now, healthy competition is keeping their head in the water, and last weekend’s results ring true of that.

The guys are stepping it up early
on. After a tough finish in this same meet last year, the team has been hungry for their revenge. The 400-yard medley relay quad consisting of Ben Klimczak ’21, Hunter Jones ’20, Jan Dziadek ’21, and Wesley Slaugther

Swimming (JONES) - C&M

Hunter Jones ’20 races this past weekend vs Albion College (Photo Courtesy of Communication and Marketing)

’21 caught first place with a finishing time of 3:33.39. Chris Dabrowski ’19 finished in the number one spot for the 1,000-yard free with a time of 10:20.89. Joey Karcxewski ’20 doubled up with two wins in the 50- and 100- yard freestyle. Also, sophomore Zach Kintz ’20, a new member of the diving team, successfully completed his first two dive attempts: a reverse and a forward somersault with a half twist.

Noble tips his hat to the impenetrable leadership qualities amongst the upper classmen. “We continue to develop leaders,” Noble said. “Our junior class has been a
good class for us. They are doing a lot more for us now in terms of setting
the tone.” For a team to develop
ethics, upperclassmen need to foster a competitive environment. Swimming is both mentally and physically stressing, but the upperclassmen know what it takes. They fight the good fights and will continue to shine the light for the young athletes on the team.

Moving forward, the squad looks
at the next three essential weeks in their fall training. Most practices in
the upcoming weeks will be highly intense, and further develop the team’s ability to cope with high physical and mental pressure. In combination with this, the team will focus on racing. The two practice techniques are set to give strength and confidence as the team goes into their big meets next month, including the Indiana Intercollegiates.