DOWNED BY DENISON

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 8.26.58 PM

Christian Stiverson dribbles up the field vs. Denison University. (Photo by Ian Ward ’19)

JAKE CHRISMAN ‘20 | STAFF WRITER • The Little Giant soccer team has hit a roadblock after dropping their first conference game to Kenyon College two weeks ago in a 2-1 double overtime loss. Since then, the Little Giant beat the Wittenberg Tigers 2-0 last Wednesday, lost on the road at Ohio Wesleyan University 4-0, and, most recently, tied with the Denison University Big Red 3-3 in a double overtime match at home this past Tuesday.

“If you look at the standings and consider the teams we have played recently; we have played the top teams in our conference,” Head Coach Chris Keller said. “That being said, we played well enough in the Denison game

to win and just had a bad 15 minute stretch against Ohio Wesleyan.” Scoring in Tuesday’s game for the Little Giants was Cory Sims ‘18
with his third goal of the season and Stojan Krsteski ’18 netting a pair of goals, lodging him at seven. Chad Wunderlich ‘21 started in goal for the Little Giaints. He recorded four saves in the 3-3 tie. “Today, I think we played the best soccer I have seen at Wabash in five years,” Keller said. “It is just unfortunate that we missed a couple of opportunities and our play didn’t result in a win.”

The Big Red struck first just 13 minutes into the first half when Gottesfeld punched in the first of many goals of the game. It didn’t take the

Little Giants long to tally a goal of their own. Just six minutes later, Sims found the net on a pass from Bayden Lee ‘18. The two teams ended the first half in with an equal 1-1 score.

In the second half, the Little Giants jumped out to a lead when Krsteski scored on a pass from Francisco Trejo ‘18 in the 67th minute. Krsteski struck again in the 73rd minute. Jacques Boulais ‘19 recorded the assist. “Coming off of a bad showing at Ohio Wesleyan our character was tested when we gave up an early goal to Denison,” Keller said. “I am really proud of the team’s reaction to this adversity.”

Despite a two goal lead and less than 20 minutes left to play, the Little Giants couldn’t hold on for a victory. Denison earned the first goal back just six minutes after Krsteski’s second. The Big Red sent an equalizer into the goal in the 89th minute of the match and sent the match into overtime. Neither team gave up much ground in overtime, while both teams combined for just four shots in both the first and second overtime. At the end of two overtimes, the Little Giants and Big Red were still deadlocked at 3-3, giving the Little Giants their first tie of the season. “Set pieces can make or break a team,” Keller said. “We have defended very well in the run of play, but we have to defend better on corner kicks.”

The Little Giants will return to action tomorrow in Oberlin, Ohio where they will take on the Oberlin college Yeomen (6-7-2) before they return home to finish the regular season with matches against DePauw University and The College of Wooster next week.

“We are preparing for these last few games the same as we have for all the past games,” Keller said. “We are playing good soccer, we just have to execute better.” Kickoff is at 1 p.m.