OHIO WESLEYAN RUINS UNDEFEATED SEASON

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

ZACH MOFFETT ’20 | STAFF WRITER • The Little Giant football team were  on a role as they went into fall break 5-0 overall and 4-0 in conference. Their most recent home win was against tough conference opponent Denison University. The Wabash defense lead the charge in handling the top conference quarterback for Denison. The Little Giants defense held Denison to one touchdown and only 254 yards of total offense. Also, Ike James ‘20 won the player of the week for his performance against the Big Red as he rushed for 158 yards on 22 carries and scored three touchdowns. While this was a big win for the Little Giants, they turned their focus to the Ohio Wesleyan University team this past weekend.

Wabash struck first with a field goal from 43 yards from Schuyler Nehrig ‘20. Both Wabash and Ohio Wesleyan would go back and forth in the first quarter, but they went no further than the 3-0 Wabash lead.

In the second quarter, Ohio Wesleyan struck back and take advantage of the struggling Little Giants offense and special teams. They scored the only offensive touchdown of the day, putting them up 7-3 over Wabash. Then, they shut down the Wabash offense and got another field goal before the half, putting Ohio Wesleyan up 10-3.

Nehrig built some momentum for the Little Giants in the third quarter as he kicked another field goal from 26 yards out, cutting the lead down by four. Ohio Wesleyan responded back and kicked another field goal from 29 yards out. On the proceeding drive from the Little Giants, they attempted to kick another field goal to trim the lead down again, but it was one of three blocked by the Ohio Wesleyan special teams. However, Nehrig would pick up the blocked kick and take it to the endzone for a 24 yard touchdown. The spectacular play was featured on ESPN Snapchat the following day. This tied the game at 13 for Wabash and Ohio Wesleyan.

Both defenses shut down the offense in the fourth, and Ohio Wesleyan kicked another field goal from 20 yards out to make the score 16 – 13. The Little Giants made one last drive and failed on two field goal attempts to tie the game. The Little Giants finished the game with a total of 339 yards of total offense. Nehrig accounted for all 13 of the Wabash points on Saturday. On a high note, the Wabash defense proved to be strong as Evan Hansen ‘19 would account for 14 tackles, 11 being solo tackles. Byshup Rhodes ‘19 had eight tackles in the game. The Little Giants lost Saturday’s match, 13- 16.

Wabash now looks ahead to the road game against Oberlin College. Oberlin is 2-4 overall and 1-4 in conference. Kickoff is at 1 p.m.